Kilipeak Adventure leads treks up the unique Rongai route, The only route that enables climbers to trek Mount Kilimanjaro from the north, close to the Kenyan border. The route is characterized by a low crowd and with a gradual slope enables most climbers to reach the top easily. Rongai Route also experiences low precipitation during the rainy season and is hence suitable for climbers who must climb during this time of the season.
The descent of Rongai climbers is made via the Marangu route and hence Marangu Gate.
Pick up from Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi/ Marangu Babylon Lodge, which is a beautiful place located on the lower slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Our Mountain Guide will gather for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check.
Overnight and Dinner at Babylon Lodge Marangu:
Day 1: Nale Moru Gate – SimbaCamp: Rainforest
Elevation: 1996m/6552ft to 2625m/8645ft
Altitude gained: 638meters (20,66ft)
After an early breakfast in Babylon Lodge 6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route Group Join Climb starting, you will drive to the Rongai -Nalemoru) Gate near the Kenya border. We begin our climb on this unspoiled wilderness route. The walk then starts to climb consistently, but gently through an attractive forest that shelters a variety of wildlife. The forest begins to thin out and the first camp is at the edge of the moorland zone with extensive views over the Kenyan plains. [3-4 hours walking]
Day 2: Simba Camp – Kikelewa Camp: | Moorland Zone
Elevation: 2,626m/8,615ft to 3675m/12057ft
Altitude gained: 1057meter
The morning walk is a steady ascent up to the ‘Second Cave’ (3,450 m.) with superb views of Kibo and the Eastern icefields on the crater rim. After lunch, we leave the main trail and strike out across the moorland on a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi. Our “Upper Kikelelwa” campsite is on a small plateau above a sheltered valley with giant scenarios past Kikelelwa Caves [7-8 hours walking]
Day 3: Kikelewa – Mawenzi Turn | Semi Desert
Elevation: 3675m/12057ft to 4302m/14114ft
Altitude gained: 627m
A short but steep climb up grassy slopes is rewarded by superb all-around views and a tangible sense of wilderness. We leave vegetation behind shortly before reaching the next camp at “Mawenzi” (4,300 m.), spectacularly situated beneath the towering spires of Mawenzi. The afternoon will be free to rest or explore the surrounding area as an aid to acclimatization. [3-4 hours walking]
Day 4: Mawenzi Tarn – Kibo Hut: | Alpine Desert
Elevation: 4302m/14,114ft to 4714m/15,466ft
Altitude gained: 412m
Cross the lunar desert of the ‘Saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach the Kibo campsite at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent on Summit Night. [5-6 hours walking]
Day 5: Kibo Huts – Summit: up – Horombo Huts: down | Glaciers, Snow Capped Summit
Elevation: 4302m/14,114ft to 5895m/19,341ft
Altitude gained: 721m
Descent to 3721m/12,208ft
Altitude lost: 2174m
We will start the final and by far the steepest and most demanding, part of the climb by torchlight around 1 a.m. We plod very slowly in the darkness on a switchback trail through loose volcanic scree to reach the crater rim at Gillman’s Point (5,685 m.) We will rest there for a short time to enjoy the spectacular sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling strong can make the three-hour round trip to Uhuru Peak (5,896 m.), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Kibo Hut is surprisingly fast and, after some refreshment, we continue the descent to reach our final campsite at Horombo [11-15 hours of walking].
Day 6: Horombo Huts – Marangu Gate: 20km/12.5mi |Rainforest
Elevation: 3721m/12,208 to 1905m/6250ft
Altitude lost: 1816m
A steady descent takes us down through moorland to Mandara Hut (2,700m.), the first stopping place at the Marangu route. We then continue descending through the lovely lush forest on a good path to the National Park gate at Marangu (1,830 m.). [5-6 hours of walking].
Accommodation at Babylon Lodge Marangu:
Moshi Marangu to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight unless you have an option to have a short safari or any other option we will discuss.
6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route Group Join Climb Includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the starting point and return after your climb.
- All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- Accommodation before and after trek (double occupancy)
- Tented accommodation on Mount Kilimanjaro.
All accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room in the hotel and a tent during the hike. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer).
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Kilimanjaro diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks.
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and water).
- Water for washing up daily
Hiking and safety equipment
- All group equipment (spacious and comfortable dining tent, camping table and chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summing aid) and oximeters;
- Complete medical kits.
- Private Chemical Portable toilet
- Professional guides, licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All our guides are the holder of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. All our guides have 5+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guide, porters, cooks, etc.).
6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route Group Join Climb Excludes:
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters, and cook
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if traveling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Snacks, personal medicine.
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks.
Mount Kilimanjaro Private and Small Group Climbs
Private and small group climb allow you to choose to hike Kilimanjaro or Meru to tailor your trip according to your personal needs and preferences. You choose the dates, route, and options and only travel with your private group of friends or family...