7 Days Kilimanjaro Machame Route Group Join Climb
7 Days Kilimanjaro Machame Route Group Join Climb- The Machame route, also known as the Whisky Route is one of the most scenic and recommended routes on Kilimanjaro.This popular route with paths through magnificent forests to gain a ridge leading through the moorland zones to the Shira Plateau. It then traverses beneath the glaciated precipices of the Southern Ice fields to join the Barafu Route to the summit. Because it can be done over longer periods and the incline is more manageable it has a much higher success rate of the summit.
Though 6 and 7-day programs are both available, the 7-day option is recommended for a better acclimatization transition.
Group Program Description
Arrive in Tanzania
Arrive anytime at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), You will be picked up by the staff of Kilipeak Adventure from Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and driven to your accommodation in Arusha. Participants will be given a short briefing for the Kilimanjaro Machame Route climb for the next day. Kits and the necessary equipment will be checked as well.
Dinner and overnight at Ilboru Safari Lodge or Similar: B&B
Day 1: Machame Gate – Machame Hut: | Rain forest
Elevation: 1811m/5942ft to 3021m/9911ft
Altitude gained: 1210m
After breakfast we will drive to Machame gate then completing the necessary registration formalities at Machame National Park gate ready to start our Kilimanjaro Machame Route Climb, we begin to trek through a beautiful and lush forest. At these lower elevations, the trail can be muddy and quite slippery. We highly recommend gaiters and trekking poles here. We have a picnic lunch en route before we arrive at Machame Camp. [5-6 hours walking]
Day 2: Machame Hut – Shira Camp: | Moorland
Elevation: 3021m/9911ft to 3839m/12,595ft
Altitude gained: 818m
We soon leave the forest behind and enter the moorland zone of giant heather. The trail climbs steadily through rocky hills with wide views of the Shira Plateau. From our camp near Shira Hut, we take in the unforgettable views of Mt. Meru as she floats among the clouds. [4-5 hours walking]
Day 3: Shira Camp – Lava Tower – Barranco Camp: | Semi-Desert
Elevation: 3839m/12,595ft to 3986m/13,077ft
Altitude gained: 147m
A morning of sustained ascent and panoramic views brings us to lunch near Lava Tower. The trail then descends to the bottom of the Barranco Valley, where we stay in the spectacular Barranco Camp sheltered by towering cliffs and with extensive views of the plains far below. [7-9 hours walking]
Day 4: Barranco Camp – Karanga Camp: | Alpine Desert
Elevation: 3986m/13,077ft to 4034m/13,235ft
Altitude gained: 48m
A steep climb up the Barranco Wall leads us to an undulating trail on the south-eastern flank of Kibo, with superb vistas of the Southern Ice fields. The terrain changes to scree, with pockets of lush vegetation in sheltered hollows, and there is only a short distance to our camp at Karanga Camp, the last water point on the approach to the summit. [5-7 hours walking]
Day 5: Karanga Camp – Barafu Camp:| Alpine Desert
Elevation: 4034m/13,235ft to 4662m/15,295ft
Altitude gained: 628m
We follow an easy path on compacted scree with wide views that gains altitude unrelentingly to reach Barafu Hut for lunch. There is a short acclimatization hike to the plateau at the bottom of the southeast valley. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the early morning final ascent. [3-5 hours walking]
Day 6: Barafu Camp – Summit: up| – Mweka Camp down | Glaciers, Snow Capped Summit
Elevation: 4662m/15,295ft to 5895m/19,341ft
Altitude gained: 1233m
Descent to 3106m/10,190ft
Altitude lost: 2789m
We start our ascent by torchlight about 1 a.m. so that we can be up on the crater rim by sunrise. The steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to Stella Point (18,800 ft), in about five or six hours. We will rest there for a short time to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling strong can make the two-hour round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (19,345 ft), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Barafu is surprisingly fast, and after some refreshments, we continue to descend to reach, Millennium Camp (12,500 ft) then to our final camp Mweka camp. [11-15 hours walking]
Day 7: Mweka Camp – Mweka Gate: 9.1km/6mi | Rain forest
Elevation: 3106m/10,190ft to 1633m/5358ft
Altitude lost: 1473m
After breakfast and a heartfelt ceremony of appreciation and team bonding with your crew, it’s time to say goodbye. We continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. As the weather is drastically warmer, the terrain is wet, muddy, and steep and we highly recommend Gaiters and trekking poles.
From the gate, a vehicle will meet you at Mweka village to drive you back to your hotel in Arusha. Enjoy a long overdue hot shower, dinner, and celebrations!![4-6 hours walking]
Dinner and overnight at Ilboru Safari Lodge or Similar: B&B
Arusha to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight back home, safari, or a relaxing trip to Zanzibar we can discuss on arrival day.
7 Days Kilimanjaro Machame Route Group Join Climb Includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off at Kilimanjaro International Airport;
- Transfer to the starting point and return after your climb.
- All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- Accommodation before and after trek (double occupancy)
- Tented accommodation on Mount Kilimanjaro.
All accommodation is on sharing basis (i.e. you will be sharing with your travel companion a twin/double room in the hotel and a tent during the hike. If you travel alone, we will match you with a same-sex adventurer).
- Breakfast in the hotel before and after the hike;
- All meals on the hike. Our Kilimanjaro diet includes energy-rich and highly nutritious meals prepared by our professional high-altitude cooks.
- All drinks on the hike (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and water).
- Water for washing up daily
Hiking and safety equipment
- All group equipment (spacious and comfortable dining tent, camping table and chairs, crockery and cutlery);
- Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summing aid) and oximeters;
- Complete medical kits.
- Private Chemical Portable toilet
- Professional guides, licensed by Kilimanjaro National Park. All our guides are the holder of Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid certifications. All our guides have 5+years of successful mountaineering experience;
- Dedicated support crew (assistant guide, porters, cooks, etc.).
7 Days Kilimanjaro Machame Route Group Join Climb Excludes;
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if traveling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Snacks, personal medicine, and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
• Tips and any items of personal nature.
Mount Kilimanjaro Private and Small Group Climbs
Private and small group climb allow you to choose to hike Kilimanjaro or Meru to tailor your trip according to your personal needs and preferences. You choose the dates, route, and options and only travel with your private group of friends or family...