Duration: 7 Days on the Mountain.
Category: Kilimanjaro Trekking
Itinerary: Kilimanjaro Machame Route 7 Days trekking
Major Attractions: Vegetation zones, Wildlife, Mt Kilimanjaro
Machame Route, also known as the “Whiskey” route, begins at Machame Gate, located in the southern base of Mount Kilimanjaro, within its green, abundant rainforest. We climb to the Shira Plateau, then traverse the mountain beneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Icefield, before summiting from Barafu Hut and descends using Mweka Gate. Machame 7 Day route is recommended because it provides an additional acclimatization day and shortens some of the daily hikes.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN TANZANIA
Arrive anytime at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), You will be picked up by the staff of Kilipeak Adventure from Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) and driven to your accommodation in Arusha. Participants will be given a short briefing for the climb for the next day. Kits and the necessary equipment will be checked as well.
Dinner and overnight at Ilboru Safari Lodge or Similar: B&B
DAY 2: MACHAME GATE – MACHAME HUT: | Rainforest
Elevation: 1811m/5942ft to 3021m/9911ft
Altitude gained: 1210m
After breakfast we will drive to Machame gate then completing the necessary registration formalities at Machame National Park gate, we begin to trek through a beautiful and lush forest. At these lower elevations, the trail can be muddy and quite slippery. We highly recommend gaiters and trekking poles here. We have a picnic lunch en route before we arrive at Machame Camp. [5-6 hours walking]
DAY 3: MACHAME CAMP – SHIRA CAMP: | Moorland
Elevation: 3021m/9911ft to 3839m/12,595ft
Altitude gained: 818m
We soon leave the forest behind and enter the moorland zone of giant heather. The trail climbs steadily through rocky hills with wide views of the Shira Plateau. From our camp near Shira Hut, we take in the unforgettable views of Mt. Meru as she floats among the clouds. [4-5 hours walking]
DAY 4: SHIRA CAMP – LAVA TOWER – BARRANCO CAMP: | Semi-Desert
Elevation: 3839m/12,595ft to 3986m/13,077ft
Altitude gained: 147m
A morning of sustained ascent and panoramic views brings us to lunch near Lava Tower. The trail then descends to the bottom of the Barranco Valley, where we stay in the spectacular Barranco Camp sheltered by towering cliffs and with extensive views of the plains far below. [7-9 hours walking]
DAY 5: BARRANCO CAMP – KARANGA CAMP: | Alpine Desert
Elevation: 3986m/13,077ft to 4034m/13,235ft
Altitude gained: 48m
A steep climb up the Barranco Wall leads us to an undulating trail on the south-eastern flank of Kibo, with superb vistas of the Southern Icefields. The terrain changes to scree, with pockets of lush vegetation in sheltered hollows, and there is only a short distance to our camp at Karanga Camp, the last water point on the approach to the summit. [5-7 hours walking]
DAY 6: KARANGA CAMP – BARAFU CAMP:| Alpine Desert
Elevation: 4034m/13,235ft to 4662m/15,295ft
Altitude gained: 628m
We follow an easy path on compacted scree with wide views that gains altitude unrelentingly to reach Barafu Hut for lunch. There is a short acclimatization hike to the plateau at the bottom of the southeast valley. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the early morning final ascent. [3-5 hours walking]
DAY 7: BARAFU CAMP – SUMMIT: up| – MWEKA CAMP down | Glaciers, Snow Capped Summit
Elevation: 4662m/15,295ft to 5895m/19,341ft
Altitude gained: 1233m
Descent to 3106m/10,190ft
Altitude lost: 2789m
We start our ascent by torchlight about 1 a.m. so that we can be up on the crater rim by sunrise. The steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to Stella Point (18,800 ft), in about five or six hours. We will rest there for a short time to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling strong can make the two-hour round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (19,345 ft), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Barafu is surprisingly fast, and after some refreshments, we continue to descend to reach, Millenium Camp (12,500 ft) then to our final camp Mweka camp. [11-15 hours walking]
DAY 8: MWEKA CAMP – MWEKA GATE: 9.1km/6mi | Rainforest
Elevation: 3106m/10,190ft to 1633m/5358ft
Altitude lost: 1473m
After breakfast and a heartfelt ceremony of appreciation and team bonding with your crew, it’s time to say goodbye. We continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. As the weather is drastically warmer, the terrain is wet, muddy, and steep and we highly recommend Gaiters and trekking poles.
From the gate, a vehicle will meet you at Mweka village to drive you back to your hotel in Arusha. Enjoy a long overdue hot shower, dinner, and celebrations!![4-6 hours walking]
Dinner and overnight at Ilboru Safari Lodge: B&B
DAY 9: DEPARTING DAY
Arusha to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight back home, safari, or a relaxing trip to Zanzibar we can discuss on arrival day.
E-mail us at any time to discuss your trip and get an accurate quotation.
KILIMANJARO MACHAME ROUTE 7 DAYS TREKKING INCLUDES:
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities.
• Airports Transfers
• Hotel Lodging before and after the climb (double occupancy)
• Transfer to the starting point and return after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summing aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Professional, English-speaking and Wilderness First Responder & CPR certified Guide, assistant guides, porters, and cook
• Salaries for the mountain crew
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress)
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs)
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Chemical Portable toilet
KILIMANJARO MACHAME ROUTE 7 DAYS TREKKING EXCLUDED;
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if traveling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Snacks, personal medicine, and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
• Tips and any items of personal nature.
|Are you interested with our Group Tour Packages?||Join now|